Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Ibuprofen Poisoning In Dogs

This essay will discuss the effects of ibuprofen on the canine species. It will touch upon how it harms the body, how high of a dosage can be harmful, what you can do to prevent it, and how to treat it.
Ibuprofen is poisonous the the canine, as well as feline species. It takes only one regular strength tablet, about 200 mg., to cause internal problems in dogs and cats. Ibuprofen poisonings are the most common incidents of accidental poisonings in canines and felines, mostly because owners give their animals painkillers to relieve pain, not realizing that they are actually killing their furry friends instead. 1(www.parkvets.com/clientinformation-poisoningyourpet.html)
It is fairly easy for an animal to get a hold of ibuprofen. It is a common drug found in most households. Felines tend to get a hold of the pills if they are dropped on the floor or left out of a locked container. Kittens and young cats tend to swallow the pills while they are playing with them. The pills are attractive to cats because they are easy to move and make noise.
Dogs and puppies tend to be attracted to the plastic bottles. The bottles serve as great “chew toys” until they have big enough holes to let the pills out.. Although you should always keep a close eye on your pet, it is most important during their first three years, as they tend to be the most curious of their surroundings during that time.
Ibuprofen poisoning causes a variety of symptoms in both dogs and cats. The biggest symptom is the signs of gastric distress, or a stomach ache. Just one tablet can permanently damage a cat or small dog’s kidneys. Excessive vomiting and stomach aches develop between one and four hours. 2(http://members.aol.com/busher9518/POISON.HTM)
Some symptoms to look for if your animal is sick with ibuprofen poisoning are bloody stools, staggering, lethargic, seizures, increased thirst, foaming at the mouth, depression, and frequent urination.3(http://www.canismajor.com/dog/nsaids.html)
One suggestion to keep in mind is to never give your pet medications unless you consult a veterinarian first. A medication that may help a human may kill a dog or cat. A lot of people make that mistake, assuming that the results will show a happier cat or dog. People do not realize that a dog or cat’s body may not use the drug the same way a human’s body does. (http://www.canismajor.com/dog/nsaids.html)
In order to save your animal you should call your veterinarian immediately. If your veterinarian isn’t available, then you should induce vomiting. You can encourage an animal to vomit by forcing it to drink hydrogen peroxide. You can mix the peroxide with milk and see if the animals will drink it or you can give it to them directly with an eyedropper. If one teaspoon doesn’t make them vomit in ten minutes then you should give them another dose. (http://www.canismajor.com/dog/nsaids.html)
If you there is a possibility that your animal had been exposed to ibuprofen, then you should inform your veterinarian at the beginning of the appointment. Ibuprofen poisoning is a hard diagnosis to come across. It has the same symptoms as many other diseases and illnesses. It will also give them more chance to save your furry friends life.
Although it is highly recommended to not use ibuprofen in dogs, sometimes it is possible to use the medication to help the animal. It is always warned that ibuprofen, along with other medications like aspirin, can cause serious stomach ulcers and aches. The use of ibuprofen should be approved by a veterinarian that is familiar with your animal.
Because some animals have more sensitive stomachs than others, there is no guarantee that your animal, no matter how big or small, will not develop ulcers. The veterinarian can recommend the dosage and how many times you will administer the drug, but it takes only two doses to start internal problems in dogs and cats.
The only way to prevent the accidental distribution of ibuprofen is to make sure you don’t leave medications out of bottles. Make sure you pick up any pills that you may drop on the floor or counter, as that is the most common way animals get their paws on different medications. It is also recommended that you consult a veterinarian before you distribute any sort of drug to any animal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home